With just one bite… I can smell the dark roast coffee brewing and hear Harry Belafonte’s voice carrying through my grandparents beloved home in Carmel, California. My “Oma” is famous for her heart-filled cooking and breakfasts from “scratch.” This recipe is like Oma- fantastic and adaptable. She never lets a recipe or her pantry slow her down. So, I would encourage you to play with your favorite fillings – either use what you have on hand or purchase what you love most! Today, I put an herbaceous twist on the classic Apricot and Lemon flavor by adding fresh minced thyme (that is growing like crazy on my window sill) and crystalized ginger for a little spice. The dry ingredients and heavy cream will give you the perfect canvas to build upon!
1 Tbs baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup sugar
4 oz (1/4 cup) dried apricots, chopped
4 oz (1/4 cup) crystalized ginger, chopped
1 tsp fresh thyme, minced
1 tsp lemon zest
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- Pre-heat oven to 425F
- Flour baking sheet
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in large bowl
- Add flavor- apricot, ginger, thyme and lemon zest
- Make well in center and add heavy cream. Stir lightly until soft dough (add a splash more cream if dough mixture will not hold)
- Form into ball and knead 5-6 times.
- Roll or pat into 3/4″ thick 8″x8″ square.
- Cut into 9 squares and bake until golden brown 10-14 minutes.
- Dust with pearl sugar or coat with a powdered sugar glaze (I use 1 tsp meyer lemon juice to ~1/4cup confectioners sugar, whisked until smooth)