The Chocolate Chip Cookie certainly must be the most time honored and celebrated American Sweet Treat of our time. And while there is an abundance of fantastic, indulgent, ultimate recipes out there, this one is mine.
In honor of Mother’s Day this Sunday, I want to thank my Mom for baking me THOUSANDS of Mammy Two-Foot’s Chocolate Chip Cookies while I was growing up. I can’t think of a day that I came home from school and there wasn’t a batch waiting for me and my friends on the kitchen counter. (Emily, I know you remember these!) These were apart of every road trip, airplane ride and camping trip that I ever went on. I still get nostalgic when I break the seal of the ziplock and am hit with a sweet gust of brown sugar, chocolate and walnuts. This recipe is like my “Mom on-demand,” my go-to after a hard day when my mother’s hug is 3,000 miles away. I wonder how many of these I have eaten over the years…I must be, like, 60% cookie!
Bake cookies for your kids and HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!
2 sticks butter at room temp
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup good chocolate chips (I like Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet)
1 cup chopped walnuts, lightly toasted
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Combine butter, white and brown sugar in bowl of an electric mixer. Blend on medium-low until absolutely creamy.
- Add eggs, continue to mix until fully incorporated. Add vanilla while mixer is still running.
- In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients. Gently fold into butter mixture by hand. Do not over work.
- Add chocolate chips and walnuts to taste.
- Place dollops of dough on a baking sheet. I like to use a small ice-cream scoop that holds approx 2 Tbs to make perfect balls of cookie dough.
- Bake 10-15 minutes. Allow to cool for 1 minutes on baking sheet before transferring over to a cooling rack.
- Got milk?