Kohlrabi is another new favorite of mine. Based on appearance, when it arrived in my CSA box, it could have easily been confused with cabbage. Instead, it reminds me of a cross between radish and potato. This great textured vegetable is extremely versatile- whether you shave it raw for a salad, puree it for a beautiful side with meat or grate it for a latke alternative (as recommended by Ana Sortun at Oleana in Cambridge). Last night I chopped it up, seasoned to taste with fennel, coriander, paprika and cayenne and then roasted the strips in the oven with a little EVOO to make veggie fries. Delicious, served with Sorrel Yogurt Dipping Sauce on the side and Thyme Ginger Sole! Also, added bonus…this veggie is loaded with Vitamin C. A 135g serving has over 140% of your recommended daily intake. Delish!
- 2 cups sliced Kohlrabi, 1/3″ thick (Be sure to remove fibrous exterior with veggie peeler or pairing knife)
- 3/4 tsp fennel, toasted
- 3/4 tsp coriander, toasted
- 3/4 tsp cumin, toasted
- pinch paprika
- pinch cayenne
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tbs EVOO
- Preheat oven to 350
- Using a mortar and pestle, grind the roasted fennel and coriander. Mix with cayenne, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Toss kohlrabi in spice blend and lay on cookie sheet in single layer.
- Drizzle lightly with EVOO
- Roast approx 15minutes until reached desired crisp and doneness. Tossing once.
- Serve with tasty Sorrel Yogurt Dipping Sauce and you have yourself a guilt free snack or side!