Fisherman Nick brought us 4 gorgeous whole grey sole this week from our Cape Ann Fresh Catch CSF. If you are lucky enough to get your hands on a whole fish, here is a great fillet demo from their website. Flat fish have a different bone structure than cod or salmon so the technique is slightly different. With all the tasty veggies coming through our farm share and the heat wave in Boston, this dish has an Indian twist. The sole marinade and batter are heavily influenced by ginger and garlic notes and some dried Aji Amarillo chili for heat. Couple that with rich fennel and coriander flavors in the kohlrabi fries and a bright, creamy sorrel yogurt dipping sauce and you have a gorgeous, exotic dish!
- 1 lb grey sole fillets
- 2″x4″ piece of fresh ginger root, pressed
- 4 medium garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 6 Tbs flour
- 3 Tbs fresh thyme, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp dried Aji Amarillo chili, minced
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 4 Tbs Canola or Grapeseed Oil
- Place fish fillets in ziplock back with 1/2 the ginger, 1/2 the garlic, all of the lemon juice and a little salt and pepper. Refrigerate for 1/2 hour while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- In a low dish, combing remaining ginger and garlic with minced thyme, lemon zest, minced Aji Amarillo Chili, Flour, Baking Powder, Salt and Pepper and 1/4 cup cold water. Whisk to create a beautiful, thick batter.
- In a medium fry pan, crank heat to medium high. Add oil. Generously batter fillets and place in screaming hot pan. Pan sear for approx 1-2 minutes on each side. Pull from pan and drain on paper towel.
- Serve with Sorrel Yogurt Dipping Sauce and Kohlrabi Fries
Farm Share Inspiration.