In the heat of summer, I like to use my oven and cooktop as little as possible. I love using flash baked pizza dough as a foundation for a fresh and hearty summer salad. Baby beets + goat cheese are ever a winning combo in my book. Lucky for us, a beautiful bushel of organic beets just arrived in our weekly box from Siena Farms, along with a spicy mix of salad greens and dill. Even AJ fell in love (talk about a feather-in-the-cap for this vegetarian pie!) While this recipe does require you to fire up the oven to 500F for 5 minutes to flash bake the crust, you will be left with a bright, refreshing, gorgeously chilled flatbread with some summer favorites to munch on. Just because it’s pizza, doesn’t mean everything needs to be baked. There are no rules when it comes to pizza:)
(makes 1x 10″-12″ pizza)
- 1/6 pizza dough, rolled 1/8″ thin
- garlic, lemon zest infused olive oil (1 clove garlic, pressed, 2 tbs EVOO, zest)
- lemon juice and zest
- 4 oz good goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 tbs fresh dill
- 1 1/2 cups baby beats, boiled until tender, peeled and quartered
- 1/2 cups walnuts, roasted for 5 minutes at 350F or until fragrant
- 1 cup mixed greens, rinsed and tossed in 2:1 EVOO to Lemon Juice, salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F. Roast Walnuts. Increase temp to 500F.
- Flash bake pizza dough 3-4 minutes, flipping once.
- Baste crust with garlic infused olive oil. Sprinkle with goat cheese.
- Return to oven and bake 1-3 minutes longer until edges of crust begin to lightly brown.
- Remove from oven and dress pizza with dill, mixed green salad, baby beets, and walnuts.
- Slice and serve at room temp.