This is an adaptation of my Oma’s Basic Scone recipe. Just for fun, I rolled the dough like a jelly roll loaded with some yummy Ficoco spread slathered inside. I loved the sweet treat but could also see going savory with cheese and herbs. So fun to twist it up every now and then and it comes together in minutes!
(Yields 12 Scones)
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour, I like King Arthurs
- 1 Tbs Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Pecans, finely chopped
- 1 1/4 cups Heavy Cream
- 1/3 Cup yummy spread, I love Ficoco by Dalmatia – a blend of cocoa and fig paste that has a beautiful, rustic texture with a rich flavor
- Preheat Oven to 425.
- Combine dry ingredients. Gently fold in heavy cream and kneed a few times until ingredients form a ball, careful not to overwork.
- Lay dough out on a sheet of parchment paper and gently press to form a rectangle about 12″ x 7″. Spread a thin layer of desired spread over entire surface. Gently roll lengthwise, using the parchment paper to keep form compact.
- Slice medallions 3/4″ thick and lay on parchment covered cookie sheet.
- Bake 10 – 14 minutes until a light golden brown. Serve warm.