AJ and I are detoxing! As if there is any question, I love to eat:) I’m not one to “diet”, I don’t like feeling deprived and, while no saint, I keep a balanced nutritious diet. However, a couple weeks ago, I woke up groggy and realized the “moving parts” in our lives were starting to swallow me, leaving me fatigued, moody and *gasp* staring at a dull and pimpled complexion in the mirror.
ACTION TIME: The objective of our detox is to increase our energy, sleep more soundly and help shed those nasty toxins that have been building up in the liver (extra glass of wine, pot of coffee, ooooh and cookie dough- yes, I ate that). The basic concept is to cut out gluten, refined sugar, dairy, caffeine and alcohol for 21 days. Vegetables, legumes, nuts, fruits and fish are the foundation of the diet. I admit that three days in, I was a cranky b*&#h and wanted to gnaw my arm off. BUT, by day 4, I was sleeping like a baby and springing out of bed before the sun rose like a fluffy bunny. Today is day 8 and the benefits are moving from the inside, out. Not only do my eyes fly open at 5:54am sans alarm clock, but I’m beginning to see a difference in my complexion too – moist skin, no breakouts,etc. I’m diggin’ this green-thing from multiple directions.
Our Vitamix lives permanently on our counter ready for our AM smoothies packed with fruits and veggies. There’s nothing like checking 3 servings of ruffage off the list before 9 am! This mango smoothie is one of our favorites. Aside from the color, you would never guess it’s packed with iron-rich spinach. Nom nom!
(Serves 1, approx 12 oz)
- 1 mango (approx 1 cup), peeled, diced and frozen (supports immune system, improves vision, clears complexion, may help prevent cancer)
- 1 kiwi, diced, frozen (lower blood pressure, supports immune system, regulates blood sugar)
- 1 cup baby spinach (helps prevent cancer, improves immune system, vision, complexion)
- 1 Tbs Tahini (strengthens bones and teeth, eliminates kidney waste)
- 1 Tbs lime juice (appox 1/2 a lime)
- 1/2 cup water
- Combine all ingredients in a Vitamix or blender and blend for approx 30 seconds. Add more or less water to achieve desired consistency. Enjoy immediately.