Blasted. Broccoli. Just the name alone makes me feel like an empowered, bad-ass, healthy-greens-eatin’ Goddess. Resolutions, I see you and raise you an extra side of ruffage. Hear me chew! This dish was inspired by a side AJ and I had with my folks at the Agate Pass Cafe in Suquamish, Washington over the holidays. There’s nothing like coming up from a couple hours on the docks squid jigging to a hot meal with Northwest charm:) Something magical happens to Broccoli when I crank the oven up an extra 25 degrees past comfort zone. Crisp florets, carmelized stocks, al dente enterior…I’m talking broccoli love. Top these greens with grated parmigiano and toasted marcona almonds for a resolution-approved side. Feeling decadent after a strong week hitting the gym? Drizzle on a quick and delicious bagna caudo, Italian for “Hot Dip”. Skeptical of anchovy? Fear not, the flavor is rich, complex and bright with citrus depth, not at all fishy- promise:)
Note: Our waitress gave us a tip we shall be forever grateful for…This pairs beautifully- tapas style- with a super dirty martini! Serve the Bagna Caudo on the side as a dip and use your fingers. We can’t be that good all the time, right?
What are you waiting for? Let’s blast some broccoli.
- 1 Broccoli Head, Florets trimmed and reserved
- 2 Tbs EVOO
- 3 Tbs Butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 anchovy filets
- Splash White Wine
- Juice from ½ lemon
- ¼ cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Parmagiano, grated for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Toss Broccoli Florets with 1 Tbs EVOO, salt and pepper on a rimmed cookie sheet.
- Roast on middle rack for 20-25 minutes, until still slightly al dente and florets begin to brown and caramelize.
- While Broccoli roasts, prepare the Bagna Caudo (hot dip). Melt butter with remaining 1 Tbs EVOO on medium heat. Add garlic and anchovy and cook for about 3 minutes or until anchovy has melted and the garlic is aromatic. Add pepper if desired. Allepo peppers add wonderful flavor and a little kick.
- Add wine and lemon juice and allow to reduce and thicken, approx 2 minutes.
- Drizzle over top of roasted broccoli and garnish with parmagiano and toasted almonds.