OK, no sooner did I get off the phone with my mother-in-law to confirm the dishes I will bring down for Thanksgiving this year (PUMPKIN CHEESECAKE at the top of the list!) did I find out that my 3 adorable nephews and niece are each making their own pie for the family. Soooo cute- how can I compete with that?! So while their masterpieces will definitely earn oooo’s and ahhhhh’s around the table, we’ll pull this amazing twist on a holiday classic out after the bed time stories for a decadent indulgence-late night! Happy *after hours* Thanksgiving!
1/2 cup walnuts
2 Tbs sugar
1 cup crushed ginger snaps
5 Tbs unsalted butter, melted
1 lb cream cheese at room temp.
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sour cream, room temp.
1 cup canned pumpkin
3 eggs, room temp.
1 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbs pumpkin pie spice
Walnut halves for garnish
- Preheat oven to 325, place the 1/2 C. of walnuts and the sugar in a food processor and finely chop.
- Pour into a large bowl, add the ginger cookie crumbs and mix.
- Pour in the butter and stir well, next pack this mixture into a 10 inch pie plate or spring form pan and press evenly against bottom to form crust- the bottom of a measuring cup is a great tool to use to pack down mixture.
- Bake 10 minutes – set aside to cool
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and brown sugar until soft and well blended, stir in the sour cream and pumpkin.
- Gradually beat in eggs 1 at a time and add cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. Place the pie dish with pre baked crust on a baking sheet and pour in the filling.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 45 minutes or until filling is set. Let cool on a rack.
- Arrange the walnut halves around the edge before serving and garnish with whipping cream. You’ll want to lick your plate…the kiddies will never know!