I just tried Sorrel for the first time last week when it arrived in our CSA from Siena Farms. For those of you who haven’t tasted it before, it’s a beautiful, bright leafy green (upper left in photo above- it kind of looks like large arugula leaves but a bit brighter) that has a delicious, lemon, slightly sour flavor. It is packed with Vitamin C- a half cup serving provides you with over 50% of your recommended intake! I pureed this with greek yogurt, lemon juice and zest, salt and pepper to make a fresh, tasty and healthy dipping sauce and served this with a Thyme Ginger Sole and Kohlrabi Fries. Consider this, the next time you reach for tartar sauce for a healthy, vitamin packed alternative. The bright lemon flavor is fantastic with fish!
- 1 bunch fresh sorrel, washed and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt, I use 2% Fage
- zest and juice from 1 lemon
- salt and cracked pepper to taste
- Combine ingredients in small food processor. Puree until smooth. Chill until ready to serve.
*Delicious as Tartar Sauce alternative. Beautiful on flaky, white fish. Great as a veggie dip, raw or roasted.