Candy Apples are a favorite treat for us this time time of year. While these Candy Apple “Nachos” are still finger lickin’ good, we have taken some of the commitment out of biting into a whole apple by serving these as wedges with all of you favorite fixings. We made Olivio’s Salted Caramel for a healthy twist on this typically indulgent sweet treat and the kids had fun sprinkling healthy toppings like toasted coconut, roasted pecans, oats, flax seeds and raisins on top. This would certainly make a healthy and hearty snack post school bus drop off! Tip: “Brine” your apple wedges in 3 cups ice water to 2 Tbs lemon juice to bring out the crisp autumn tartness and keep the flesh brilliant white! And PLEASE save some of the Salted Caramel for an indulgent dessert over ice cream for yourself later on. You deserve it!
Olivio Salted Caramel
yields approx 3/4 cup
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- pinch of Cream of Tartar
- 3 Tbs Water
- 1 Tbs Olivio Buttery Spread
- 1/3 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- In a small, heavy bottomed sauce pan combine the granulated sugar, cream of tartar and water. The caramel sauce will bubble when we add the cream so be sure to choose a saucepan with tall sides.
- Cook on high heat, swirling and dissolving sugar until it turns a deep amber color. This will take about 5 minutes. Pro tip: The acidity of the cream of tartar helps prevent crystals from foaming, insuring a stress free, smooth caramel!
- Remove from heat and whisk in the Olivio Buttery Spread and heavy cream.
- Return the mixture to the heat and simmer until thick and glossy for about 30 seconds.
- Add sea salt off the heat and allow to cool to room temperature.