With snow in the forecast and a long week under our belts, I thought I would try a lean take on a classic comfort food dish- the Sloppy Joe! This recipe is inspired by Cooking Light but I made a few changes. I added extra veggies (which are coming out of my ears thanks to a robust farm share). I used fresh pressed garlic and half of a fresh chili instead of their powdered form. I also wanted a little smokey flavor- something that I love about BBQ sauce. As I didn’t have any natural smoke flavor on hand, I added an additional glug of Bulls Eye Original BBQ sauce to the pan. Easy and delicious. For the side, we had broccoli slaw with homemade coleslaw dressing. It was a hit!
4 stalks of celery, minced
1 cup diced onion
1 medium leak, thinly sliced
16 oz 96% lean ground beef
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1/2 fresh chili pepper, minced
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup ketchup
1 Tbs Dijon mustard
1 Tbs tomato paste
1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbs red wine vinegar
8 oz diced tomatoes
1/4 cup BBQ sauce (optional- for a subtle, smokey flavor)
Buns- I used whole wheat New England hot dog buns from Trader Joe’s, lightly buttered with Olivio Butter Substitute
- Preheat Broiler and line up buns on cookie sheet.
- Heat a large saute pan on medium-high heat. Place meat in pan. You may need a glug of Olive Oil if you are using super lean meat. Add carrot, celery, onion and leak and cook until beef is brown and veggies are slightly tender. Add garlic, chili, salt and pepper. Cook for another minute.
- Combine ketchup, Dijon, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, vinegar, crushed tomato, and optional BBQ sauce or smoke flavor in a small bowl. Add mixture to pan, and stir to combine. Simmer for approx. 5 minutes until thickened.
- While sauce thickens, place buns under broiler. Since I was using New England hot dog buns, I buttered the outside to get a nice, toasted exterior and soft steamed interior. Flip. Place about 1/3 cup of beef mixture in bun and serve with broccoli slaw!
1/2 cup Low Fat Helman’s Mayonnaise
1 Tbs granulated sugar
2 Tbs cider vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp mustard powder
1 tsp ground pepper
- Whisk and toss over 1 bag of broccoli slaw