DUFFIN: noun, a breakfast treat (or any time you need a pick-me-up snack) made with the ingredients and flavor of a donut, prepared with the technique of a muffin; fabulous and better for you!
Baked, not fried and basted with Olivio and cinnamon sugar, these Mulled Cider Duffins satisfy any Leaf Peepers craving 🙂 Mini muffin trays make the perfect mold for these “Duffin Holes”. The batter comes together quickly. Make the night before and treat yourself to something easy-peasy and fresh baked the next morning. Warning: These draw even the drowsiest out of bed when the rich cinnamon cider aroma wafts down the hall! Better start brewing that pot of coffee…
Yields approx 32 Duffin Holes
For the Duffin Holes
- 1 1/4 Cup Apple Cider (reduced to 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 Fresh Orange, sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 cloves
- 2 cups All-Pupose Flour
- 3/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Cinnamon, ground
- 1/4 tsp Clove, ground
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 Tbs Olivio Buttery Spread, melted
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup Buttermilk
- 1 tsp Vanilla
For the Cinnamon Sugar Topping
- 3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp Cinnamon, ground
- 1/4 cup melted Olivio Buttery Spread
- Begin by mulling and reducing the cider to yield 1/2 cup. Combine the Apple Cider, orange slices, cinnamon stick and cloves in a small pot and simmer on medium low for about 20 minutes or until the cider has reduced and 1/2 cup remains. We want a rich and syrup-like cider for the biggest punch of fall flavor. Set aside and allow to come to room temperature.
- Grease your mini muffin pan and preheat oven to 350*.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine Flour, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, Cinnamon, Clove and Salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg, melted Olivio, Brown Sugar and Granulated Sugar. Whisk in Buttermilk, reduced Apple Cider and Vanilla.
- Gently add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring gently and careful not to over mix. It’s ok if a few small clumps remain.
- Pour batter into the prepared mini muffin pan, filling 3/4 full (only a couple teaspoons of batter are necessary per each Duffin Hole). Bake approx 9 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when tested.
- Meanwhile, prepare your Cinnamon Sugar Topping. Melt Olivio and place in a small bowl. In a separate bowl, combine Sugar and Cinnamon. Baste Duffin Holes in Olivio. Then use your fingers to generously toss in the Cinnamon Sugar Mixture. Allow duffin holes to “set” on cooling rack until ready to serve. Roll up your flannel and dig in!