Pure Olivio olive oil and organic pumpkin puree are the secret to a dream like moist density in this fall spice cake. Topped with a to-die-for Maple Cream Cheese frosting and a little Heath Bar Crunch? Well yes, these are called Fall Heaven Cupcakes for a reason! Tip: I always substitute Pure Olive Oil when a recipe calls for canola or vegetable oil. Pure Olive Oil has a very mild flavor but is loaded with wonderful health benefits like Omega-3s. Also, it ensures an added level of moistness in whatever you are baking. If you are seeking a greener, more floral flavor, you can “upgrade” to extra virgin olive oil (EVOO). Think of EVOO as adding an additional flavor and less of a secret ingredient substitute. For example, I always use EVOO in my citrus cakes because I love the exotic note it adds.
Yields 10 standard cupcakes or approx 30 mini cupcakes
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice (or 1 tsp cinnamon, ½ tsp ginger, ½ tsp nutmeg)
- 2 large eggs Tip: Let your eggs come to room temperature so the incorporate smoothly with the Olive Oil and wet ingredients.
- 1 cup canned Organic Pumpkin Puree
- ½ cup Granulated Sugar
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- ½ cup pure Olivio Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 350* and line desired muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, combine the Flour, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, Salt and Spices.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the Eggs, Pumpkin Puree, Granulated Sugar, Brown Sugar and Pure Olivio Olive Oil.
- Gently incorporate dry mixture into wet mixture, gently stirring and careful not to over mix.
- Fill muffin molds 2/3 full and bake 20-25 minutes if making the standard size or 15-18 minutes if making minis.
- Allow cakes to cool completely on cooling rack (about 30 minutes) before frosting them so frosting doesn’t melt.
- Meanwhile, it’s time to make your Maple Frosting.
MAPLE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 6 oz Organic Cream Cheese
- 3 Tbs Olivio Original Buttery Spread
- ¼ tsp Maple Flavor (A fall must-have available at fine kitchen/ specialty stores)
- ½ tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups Confectioner’s Sugar
- In the bowl of an electric fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the Cream Cheese, Olivio Original Buttery Spread, Maple Flavor, and Vanilla Extract. Mix on medium until smooth.
- Turn the mixer to low and slowly add Confectioners Sugar. Continue to mix until completely smooth.
- You can frost your cupcakes using a simple spreading knife. You can also pipe the frosting, which is my choice. If choosing to do so, transfer frosting into piping bag with desired tip and allow to chill for 15 minutes in the fridge.
Tip: If taking these to a party in the evening, frost in the morning and leave out so frosting has a chance to set. This will make transportation a lot easier too!
- Finishing touch is the Crushed Health Bar Toffee Crumble. Don’t be afraid to double this frosting recipe and make yourself an extra loaf of Pumpkin Bread while the puree is out. It’s THAT good. You will want this spread on everything, promise!