Whether you are staying close to the fire this New Year’s Eve or planning your next Game Day Menu, this heritage dish speaks Winter Comfort all the way. This is an early New England dish with a name the kids will love to say. “Come on Kids! Get your Rinktum Ditty!” I mean, I love it already:) Traditionally made with butter, we modified the recipe to use Olivio and goodness of Mediterranean Olive Oil. No one ever said comfort couldn’t be healthy too, right? Think Grilled Cheese Dipped in Tomato Soup or Cheese Pizza…this app is a nod to those comfort standbys! Tip: Do you have leftovers? Use this as a base in a casserole or lasagna.
(yields approx 2 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup Olivio Buttery Spread
- 1 cup grated American Cheese
- 1/4 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Milk, scalded
- 1 cup Tomato Soup (Roasted Red Pepper Soup is also nice)
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- Pinch Cayenne
- In a medium sauce pan melt the Olivio Buttery Spread.
- Add the grated cheese and and cover with sifted flour. Cover the pan and cook on medium low heat until the cheese has melted and begins to bubble up through the flour.
- Using a whisk to incorporate, add scaled milk. Then add the tomato or roasted red pepper soup with the baking soda mixed in it.
- Add the mustard, paprika, salt and cayenne and blend well.
- This dip is best served warm in a thick bowl that retains heat well or chafing dish. Crostini or Focaccia are wonderful for dipping! The Focaccia dipped in Rinktum Ditty reminds the kiddos of pizza!