This is another easy and delicious recipe that is great to have on hand, ready to go in the fridge. The dough keeps nicely for over a week making it ideal to bake on demand when friends swing by for cocktails. I also love recipes, like the Baked Eggs, that give you the basic “structure” and then allow you to play with flavors…depending on the mood and what you have available.
1 cup hard cheese, finely grated (In this batch, I used 1/2 cup pecorino, 1/2 cup parmigiano)
1 tsp herbs, minced or ground (I used fresh thyme)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 fresh cracked pepper
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour (King Arthur is great!)
1/2 cup nuts, finely chopped (such as pine nuts, pecans, or pistachio- optional for rolling log in at the end)
- Place the softened stick of butter in a mixer with a paddle blade and cream on medium low speed for 2-3 minutes.
- Combine grated cheese, herbs, salt and pepper in a small bowl and incorporate into the mixer.
- Add flour. The majority of dough will ball together with a few pea size pebbles at the bottom of the mixer. Add a tsp of water at a time if dough will not stick.
- Place the dough on a clean service and form into a tight ball, integrating any straggling crumbs. The dough should be dry but stick together nicely with pressure.
- Gently work ball into a 10″ long round log. If you plan to roll the dough in nuts, do so now.
- Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and perfect the shape.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 1 week.
- When ready to serve, slice dough into 3/8″ medallions and line on a cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until golden brown and serve.
*What you choose for the herbs can be the most fun- italian herbs are always a great choice but so are some of the more exotic blends like fennel and cumin, smoked paprika or pack a punch with cayenne. Have fun!