When I was 16, I lived in Denmark for 6 months. Some of my nearest and dearest friends are Danish and I grew up with special Scandinavian traditions and specialities mixed into my life back on Bainbridge. I think “rød grød med fløde” or Red Porridge with Cream is the prize of Denmark…well, at least during strawberry season, anyway. It is a simple dessert, consisting of stewed red berries (traditionally strawberries), a little sugar, cornstarch and touch of lemon with a splash of cream. For those of you who have ever visited Denmark, I’m sure you have been asked to pronounce the “impossible”. For those of you planning a visit, start practicing early and prepare yourself for friendly humiliation, as it’s a mouthful. Consider it “Danish hazing” and you’re now in the family.
Serves 8 (the sweetness of this recipe varies depending on sweetness of your strawberries so taste, taste, taste!)
- 2.5 lbs Strawberries, cleaned and quartered
- 1/2 cup sugar (if Strawberries are under ripe, you may want to add a little more sugar)
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 2 Tbs cornstarch mixed with 3 Tbs water
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Combine strawberries, sugar and zest in a large pot and simmer 15 – 20 minutes on medium-low until strawberries begin to break down and mixture becomes soupy. I like to maintain some of the berry texture in the porridge. You can continue simmering until mixture consistency is to your liking.
- Add cornstarch and water mixture. Simmer an additional 3 minutes.
- Add lemon juice just before removing from heat to brighten berry flavors.
- Place in a temperature safe bowl and chill in fridge for 1+ hour.
- Serve in a small bowl with a drizzle of heavy cream.
When I was little, instead of a birthday cake, my mom would make me this. I would sit and eat the entire serving bowl. Kids love this of all ages. Our nephews and niece 3-7 y/o love this dessert too and have so much fun trying to pronounce the name! Happy Strawberry Pickin’…
Before you eat it, you have to say it:)