Guilty pleasure confession: I love to sit with an entire, chilled watermelon half on my lap and chow. Give me a spoon and 15 minutes and there will be nothing but rind and one happy soul left over. However, that’s when I’m alone, without a witness, as it looks like I am about 7 months pregnant after I finish. Here is a refined twist on this summer staple. A simple marinade of lime zest and juice, olive oil and sea salt bring out the full flavor and sweet juice of this amazing melon. I love the creamy, earthy flavor of the feta and the mint grounds and refreshens the bite with its herbal notes. No need for a spoon either, these cubes are bite size!
- 1/2 large watermelon, sliced into 1″ cubes
- zest and juice from 2 limes
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- pinch of cracked sea salt
- 1/3 cup feta
- 1/4 cup mint chiffonade
- Place watermelon cubes in a large bowl and toss with lime zest and juice, olive oil and sea salt. Chill for at least 1 hour.
- With a pairing knife, scoop a half circle out form one side of the cube, appox 1/3″ diameter to create a “bowl” for the feta.
- Stuff with feta and garnish with mint chiffonade. Serve chilled on tray and drizzle with remaining lime-juice from bowl. The watermelon acts like a sponge so it is nice to have it sitting on a little tasty liquid.
Happy Dog Days…